The Animal Experiments Inspectorate carries out inspections of animal testing facilities and ongoing experiments. Every year, the Inspectorate must inspect at least a third of all animal testing facilities in Denmark.
When conducting an inspection, the Inspectorate evaluates if animal housing and care is being conducted according to legislation. The following is inspected:
- The size of the cages – total area and height
- Number of animals in the cages
- Quantity and quality of the bedding, enrichment and nesting materials
- Cage design
- Air humidity
- Clear marking of the experiment permit for each animal
Additionally, the Inspectorate also focuses on the following:
- Correctly filled out research journal(s)
- Properly prepared procedures in case of ventilation error, etc.
- Disease surveillance
- Ensuring that written procedures exist in case of employee leave and/or vacation
- Control of access to animal stalls
- Competent animal technicians
- Competent animal researchers